June is Pride Month! Take some time to curl up with a good book about the LGBTQ2+ community or by an LGBTQ2+ author. Feeling social? Then, why not celebrate this fun occasion by watching movies with friends or family about people who are LGBTQ2+. Here are some films that you can watch on Hoopla for free through the library, that feature characters that are LGBTQ2+:
- 3 Generations: This drama is about three generations of family living together in New York. Elle Fanning plays Ray, a transgender teenager who wants to begin hormone therapy, but needs his father's permission. His mother is supportive, however, his grandmother is finding it hard to accept that she has a grandson.
- Rent: If you feel like watching a musical, this movie based on an award-winning Broadway musical is for you. It is about a group of friends living in New York, who are struggling to pay rent. The story line follows the characters as they endure poverty, illness and AIDS.
- Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert: Looking for a laugh? Then, this funny film is for you. It follows three drag queens as they travel across the Australian Outback to a perform in a show.
- Call Me By Your Name: In the mood for romance? This academy-award-winning film is based on the book of the same name by André Aciman. It follows Elio, a 17 year-old, who spends the summer in Italy with his parents, and falls in love with Oliver, a 24 year-old scholar.
- Tell it to the Bees: This romance movie is based on a book of the same name by Fiona Shaw. It takes place in the 1950s in Britain and focuses on a relationship that develops between a doctor and her patient's mother.
- Disobedience: This film is also based on a book of the same name by Naomi Alderman. It centres on a woman from an Orthodox Jewish background that forms a romance with a childhood friend. Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams star in this romance.