Do you enjoy Chinese cuisine? You certainly wouldn’t be the only one if you said yes. In fact, Chinese food continues to fill diners’ tastebuds with pleasure and joy, and has made a large impact throughout the world. It is known for its fragrant flavours, scrumptious dishes, and myriad of intriguing food combinations that work resoundingly well.
The community spoke loud and clear when they selected "Have You Eaten Yet" by Cheuk Kwan as the winner of this year’s Markham Reads. This book features the stories of Chinese entrepreneurs and restaurant owners throughout the world who have created delicious Chinese meals for us to enjoy.
In the spirit of this book, we asked our fellow Markham Public Library staff members about some of their favourite dishes from Markham-based Chinese restaurants. Below, we highlight some of their top choices:
- Bingz Crispy Burger - liangpi with chili oil sauce
- Cafe De Hong Kong - french toast with condensed milk
- Cha Kee Restaurant - Hong Kong style stir fried instant noodle.
- Chef 88 Elite Fine Dining - wide selection of dim sum options
- Ding Tai Fung -soup dumplings and spicy peanut noodles
- Fancy Chinese Cuisine - dim sum dishes, offers a lobster combo
- Federick Restaurant (Hakka Chinese dishes) - manchurian beef and chicken pakora
- Inspire Restaurant (asian fusion)- chicken and waffles
- New City Restaurant - Hong Kong style baked rice/spaghetti dishes
- Skyview Fusion Cuisine- BBQ pork (cha siu) and during dim sum, their giant shrimp dumplings (har gow)