Promoting positive screen time during the school year can be difficult as children are constantly surrounded by digital distractions. Technology plays a big role in today's classroom and creating a plan for after-school screen time to be filled with educational opportunities is essential for children's' well-being and academic success. Your library card provides access to countless digital resources to continue learning outside of the classroom. When using the library digitally, your children can play educational games, find interactive audiobooks, and even get online homework help. Here are some ways you can promote positive screen time with your library card:
Explore and Encourage the Use of Educational Apps and Websites
- Brainfuse is a website that offers free live tutoring with your library card. Tutors are available every day from 2:00 - 11:00 PM for grades K-12. Tutors cover all subjects, including math, science, social studies, language arts, and more. Brainfuse can be used for homework help, additional lessons, and test preparation.
- Little Pim is a language-learning app for children that offers lessons in over ten languages. With interactive visual classes, your children can learn a new language daily and practice their conversation skills.
- Libby gives access to thousands of children's eBooks, eMagazines, and eAudiobooks.
Focus on Multimedia Learning Opportunities
- WorldBooks offers a rich collection of eBooks on a variety of subjects to supplement school learning.
- Hoopla Kids is an app with a kid-friendly mode to help your children discover content for ages 12 and under. Once turned on, you will audiobooks, comics, movies, music, and TV shows for your children to explore.
- Kanopy Kids offers read-along storybooks, educational videos on science and math, language learning content, and more.
- CBC Corner Kids offers Canadian content, including kids news, educational videos, and podcasts.
Promote Responsible Internet Use
- Gale In Context offers a variety of interactive lessons for children to learn about internet safety, social media, video games, and more.
Foster Creativity Through Digital Skills