Recently, there have been a number of hate crimes targeting people of East Asian heritage in Canada and the United States. These racist attacks must stop. We need to stand up and unite against hate. Here are some actions that you can take to help stop this racism:
- Acknowledge racism - be aware that racism exists, and that East Asians are one of the groups being targeted now and historically.
- If you witness a hate crime or racism, speak out against it, if it is safe to do so.
- Report hate crimes to the police.
- Raise awareness - use social media to share information about hate crimes and against racism.
- Advocate for anti-racism training and awareness at your workplace.
- Be an ally for East Asians in your community - support East Asian businesses, artists and events etc.
- Educate yourself about racism (current and historical) and how to be anti-racist - for help with this, please see our resource lists below:
Recently, there has been an increase in hate crimes against individuals of East Asian heritage. Education is key in helping to combat anti-Asian racism; here is a list of resources to learn more about the history and experiences of East Asians.
In light of recent hate crimes targeting East Asians, we have compiled some resources to help people learn about the history and experiences of East Asians.