Today is International Museum Day. This day is to celebrate museums and recognize that they are important in understanding different cultures, promoting peace, education and preserving history. Last year, more than 37,000 museums participated in International Museum Day in approximately 158 countries. It has been celebrated for 40 years now.
To celebrate today, why not visit your local museum, or if you are really adventurous, why not visit one of the world’s top museums. We have compiled a list of 5 of the most amazing museums that you must, if you have a chance. These museums are unique and have special collections. They are all must-sees. So, if you are feeling adventurous, you must put these ones on your list.
- Le Louvre – Paris, France. This one is a given – I mean the architecture itself is amazing! Don’t forget about that Mona Lisa. If you are not ready to travel yet, you can visit virtually here.
- War Museum – Ottawa, Canada. For those who are not ready or able to travel too far, go no further than a 5/6 hour drive East of Markham. It has really unique collections. Large collections of tanks, an in the trenches exhibit and it’s all focused on war! Cannot get there in person? Check out the online exhibits here.
- The British Museum – London, United Kingdom. This museum includes vast cultural collections, including a famous Ancient Egyptian exhibit. Visit virtually here.
- The Smithsonian Institution – Washington DC, United States of America. This collection of museums has everything from natural history to air and space. There are some virtual tours available for the National Museum of Natural History here.
- The Uffizi Galleries, Florence, Italy. This museum is known for its ancient sculptures and paintings. You can take a virtual tour here.
To learn more about these museums and more, you can take a look at our reading list below.
Here is a list of books to learn more about the many museums that exist across the globe.