Podcasts are a great way to keep you entertained, informed, and up-to-date on world affairs, depending on your preferred genre of entertainment. With such a large, and ever-increasing number of options, though, it can be challenging to sift through the many podcasts that exist and find the one that’s right for you.
Fortunately, as an avid podcast-listener myself, I have a number of suggestions to help you begin your journey into the world of podcasts (or help you discover new ones, if you already listen to them)!
Here are 10 podcasts that you may enjoy:
1) Hardcore History: If history is your cup of tea, then this podcast is exactly what you’re looking for. The host of this podcast, Dan Carlin, has a talent for bringing historical moments to life, as he examines past events in excruciating detail. This is currently my favourite podcast, and the one I find myself listening to most frequently.
2) Serial Killers: It’s no secret that many people are fascinated with serial killers - they almost feel like an alien species, and we simply can’t get enough of them. If you find yourself wanting to add to your ever-increasing knowledge of these twisted individuals, then this podcast is sure to satiate your unquenchable thirst of serial killers.
3) The Monday Morning Podcast: In this podcast, comedian Bill Burr rants about his life, shares personal stories, offers advice, all in humorous ways. This podcast is much more laid-back than most, and if you’re a fan of his stand-up comedy, you’re sure to enjoy the Monday Morning Podcast.
4) The Joe Rogan Experience: It’d be hard not to have heard of the Joe Rogan Experience. As one of the most popular podcasts in the world, Joe is consistently able to bring in interesting guests to his show and have enticing discussions with them. Just be warned that some of the hosts and guests on the Joe Rogan experience may have questionable opinions, so be sure to do your own research if something doesn’t quite sound right to you.
5) The Truth: If you’re looking for a podcast that is fictional, The Truth is an excellent one to binge on. The writing brings to life a variety of short stories that range from serious to nonsensical, to absolutely hilarious. There’s stories for everyone to enjoy, when tuning in to this podcast.
6) Revisionist History: Chances are, you’ve heard of Malcolm Gladwell, or possibly read some of his numerous interesting books (and if you haven’t, you should check them out at our library). Malcolm brings the same sort of perspective to his podcast, where he re-examines historical events in a way that really makes us think about the past. If you’re a lover of history podcasts (like me), this is likely one that will resonate well with you.
7) Crimetown: If you’re someone who is into documentaries, you might be happy to hear that there are audio documentaries that can be just as gripping as those you watch on Netflix, Youtube, or whichever other outlet you watch your shows. This documentary focuses on organized crime, and tells stories in a compelling way that is sure to draw you in.
8) Beautiful Stories with Anonymous People: This podcast differentiates itself from many other podcasts, in that the people being interviewed are not famous, or well-known. Instead, a random, anonymous person calls in and shares own personal stories with the host (and us, of course). The host does a fantastic job of asking questions, and adding comments of his own to the guests he speaks to.
9) Radiolab: One of the earliest podcasts I listened to, that really drew me into podcasts in the first place. I find that some of the episodes can be a miss, but the ones that are a hit are really, really good. The podcast is known for how well-researched its episodes are, and the fascinating (overwhelmingly science-based) stories that they explore.
10) Every Little Thing: This podcast covers a variety of topics as it attempts to answer the myriad of questions that we might find ourselves asking. The hosts also frequently inject humour into their podcast, making it both informative and very enjoyable.
If you listen to any podcasts that I didn’t highlight above, which you absolutely adore, then be sure to share them with us! We would love to discover some new podcasts to binge on!