It’s our favourite demigod’s birthday. The son of Poseidon and a human woman, who saved the world, should be celebrated. So, how can you honour him? Wear blue, carry a pen around or eat a blue cupcake. Another way you can celebrate is to read the books; there are a total of five books in the Percy Jackson series. You can also host a Percy Jackson movie night and watch the two movies starring Logan Lerman.
The Percy Jackson books and movies contain a lot of references to Greek Mythology, and if you are interested, in this topic, there is much literature available. Here is a list of relevant Greek Myths or stories, as depicted in the Percy Jackson universe:
- Perseus and Andromeda – This includes the story of how Perseus, demigod and son of Poseidon, defeated Medusa.
- The 12 Labours of Hercules – This myth includes the story of how Hercules, another demigod, defeated the Hydra.
- The Odyssey – This epic story by Homer, includes the tale of how a hero, Odysseus, and his ship’s crew, ended up in the land of the Lotus Eaters, who fed his crew flowers that made them not want to leave. Sound familiar?
- Orpheus and Eurydice – This myth tells the tale of how Orpheus had to journey to Hades to bring back his wife Eurydice.
- Persephone – This is the story of how Persephone was taken, against her will, to the underworld by Hades.
If you are interested in reading more about Rick Riordan’s fictional character, Percy Jackson, check out our reading list below.
August 18th is Percy Jackson's birthday! Celebrate with us by reading more fiction featuring the world's wonderful mythologies.