Black History Month is a time to celebrate the rich history, culture and achievements of Black people. If you are looking for a way to celebrate at home this year, then, look no further. We have a list of our top five film picks on Hoopla to keep you entertained this month. Depending on if you want to watch a documentary or a feature film, these flicks are sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Selma: This Oscar-winning film is about the real life events of when Martin Luther King Jr. led a civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery. It stars David Oyelowo, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Oprah Winfrey.
- Night Catches Us: This drama is about when an ex-Black Panther returns to Philadelphia after the death of his father. It stars Anthony Mackie and Keri Washington.
- King: Man of Peace in a Time of War: If you are more in the mood for a documentary on civil rights, then, this is the movie for you. This film focuses on a rare television interview with Martin Luther King Jr. It also features interviews with Jesse Jackson and Colin Powell.
- A Century of Black Cinema: This documentary is about the history and current landscape of black people in cinema. It features Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Denzel Washington and more stars.
- Blackbird: If you are more in the mood for a fictional drama, then, this coming of age movie is for you. It is about a young man who lives in a Southern Baptist community trying to define his identity. It stars Mo'Nique and Isaiah Washington.